Sunday, January 6, 2008

head injuries

Okay, so yesterday, as I already blogged about, I hurt my head/ scalp on a vine in the brush. I couldn't locate any open wounds, though--so I thought I was okay. then last night when I laid down in bed, the back of my head hurt--so apparently there's a lump and a scab and God knows what else. I don't know if it's from that incident or some playful romp with Quinn last night--I don't remember claws or teeth contacting with my head...I actually hope it was the vine, since I think it'd be more hygenic than his germy claws or teeth.
I guess it was time to get another head injury--the dent and bruise on my forehead from hitting my head pretty hard on a corner of a piece of furniture last week had almost faded. THAT bruise was from reaching to grab Trixie when she was being bad. I put more energy into the grab than into looking where I'm going.
oh, and a few nights ago, Brian and I were tossing Quinn's squeaky ball back and forth for him...and I wasn't paying attention, and Brian threw it kind of hard. that hurt, but fortunately it was one of those collapsible rubber balls, so it was a smack, not a thud.
I have to be careful--head injuries can damage your brain, and I don't feel like losing any of my mental abilities sooner than I have to (I know my brain will shrink as I get older, and I'll just have to do the best I can with that--like doing brain teasers and eating blueberries. after all, I want to be able to analyze things like last night's New Hampshire debates or the ads in the Sunday paper coupons.
Speaking of which, the best of the ads from the coupons of yesterday is this one: a romantic shot of a woman tenderly laughing over...a dog?? the caption read: "Resolution 5: Laugh more. Experience how the slow-cooked real beef taste with hints of hickory and molasses will bring you closer together...all year long." REALLY? tastes like hickory and molasses bring anyone closer?? the logic here is really odd, and kind of perverse. who talks about growing closer to their dog? dogs are as close as you let them be...they love you. So is this just a guilt trip for people who don't have enough time for their dog? I dont' get it, but I do think it is a very shoddy ad.
then there's the runner up ad...an ad for a blood sugar tester--that now comes in COLORS! just in case your diabetes is not stylish enough? the ad says, "Add a Touch of Color to your Daily Testing Routine". I think the whole color thing is a little over the top. Of course, it also may speak to the rise of juvenille diabetes along with juvenille obesity.
I think sometimes it must be hard to live with me. I analyze everything. I am always figuring out the subtext of what things are saying--whether it's advertising, debate speak, real estate descriptions, etc. and I usually do it out loud. I thoroughly enjoyed the debates last night--but spent much of the night screaming at the television and the debaters. it's a good thing Brian's such a patient man.

No comments: