Wednesday, January 23, 2008

the bright spots in the sky

You know it's bad when faculty start noticing something is different/ wrong about me. I've had one faculty member ask someone else in my office (that he's good friends with) if I was okay, and another asked me something similar today at lunch. I'm not trying to walk around dragging and doing an Eeyore for an audience. I just don't have the emotional or physical energy to be fakely happy. Especially when rude, hostile students dog on me. I really hate that. Today I told someone that she needed to get an advisor's signature on her form. She said "I'm a senior in college. I don't need a mother telling me what to do." to which I replied, "no, but you need your advisor's signature". I tried very hard not to make it sound smart, but judging by her huff as she slammed out of the office, I think she disagreed.
So I try to focus on the pleasant stuff...the faculty who care enough to ask how I am, and not in a gossipy way. and the note a friend from college left in our mail slot (he apparently stopped by when it was busy, and decided to just leave us a note). and a student today who was nice, really nice to me. there were two, really. but the best one was a guy who, among other things, thanked me (in a serious tone) for all my hard work. I joked with him to "spread the word--I'm not as mean as I look". and he said, No, I never thought you were mean...and I'll beat anyone up that says you are. (!) So that was nice. I don't think he was hitting on me either. I think he was just being nice.
another student, who has been in the office a lot in the past few days, wished me good luck with all my work (today was the last day of drop add, and what a nightmare!). I laughed and showed him the pile I had to do yet, and said I guessed I'd be there for awhile. He looked surprised, and asked if I was really going to stay to finish them tonight. I said I was going to try. He looked impressed and said good luck.
I guess in a way it's sad that such small positive interactions mean so much to me. But I still appreciate it!
and now I'm going to go finish watching American Idol...although all the rude/ flipping out contestants are giving me flashbacks to work. I'm not kidding, people. watch them flip out and shout deluded statements in a hostile tone--and you've got the nightmare people I deal with far too often. I'm just glad there's some good ones too.

No comments: