Sunday, January 13, 2008

church visit #1

We visited a new church this morning. it's a Presbyterian church about 10 minutes away from where we live (not the one next door to us...go figure.). they have a 9am "non-traditional" service I wanted to check out--the photo on their website made it look like they had a real worship team, and I miss worship music.
When we pulled into the parking lot, we were impressed by the number of cars, but we weren't sure where we were going (I knew from their website that they were not meeting in the main sanctuary, but couldn't remember where...). a very nice man named John introduced himself and led us to the smaller hall where service was being held. Turns out most of the cars were for a breakfast meeting going on in the church's rental hall, unrelated to any church services. Bummer.
the service was comprised of 3 half circles of chairs grouped facing an overhead (by the front of the room, where the entry way was--no pressure on late comers! fortunately we weren't.). there was hot coffee and tea available at the side of the room. we met the minister, a woman named Karen, and her two children, and her husband, and a number of other nice people. the people were all VERY friendly and nice--they talked to us before the service, and after the service, and even thanked God for our visit during the group prayer session at the end of the service. we were the "nice young couple visiting". I figure God knows who the old lady meant, although she apologized after the service that she hadn't been able to remember our names at the time.
I counted during one of the "reflective" times of the service (there were a lot of them.)--there were 18 adults, mostly middle age, 1 teen ager, and 2 children (the minister's). the service was not my thing, though--not bad, just definitely NON traditional--kinda Quaker meeting, from what I hear about their services. we sang, and then the minister showed us a map and compass and used her son to demonstrate how other magnets messed up the true north reading on the compass, and how God is our true north, and then told us to reflect on that, and pray about it, and come up to the map and look at the magnets and pray aloud, if we'd like. I did not like. Neither did Brian. then we sang some more songs, and then we all held hands in a circle, and prayed some more. like I said, not bad, just kinda strange. I read on their website that the minister worked previously in a drug and alcohol rehad center, and it makes sense in that context. it seems more like a service for that type of group.
So, next week, we're on to another church. "Brian's pick" next week--we're going to visit the church of a very nice coworker of his. after that, another church not too far from here. we'll see what turns up. Wish us luck. at least we can have faith that God is in each place, and pleased with our attendance, even if it's not exactly what we want over the long term.

No comments: