Tuesday, January 8, 2008

global warming and idiots

They are mowing. outside my office window. it's January. the mold spores in the air are making me cranky. I am SOOOO glad all those conservatives were right and there's no such thing as global warming. Because otherwise this whole mowing in January, with temperatures rising to 70degrees F might make me a little worried. But my dad says it's not true. he also says God made the hole in the ozone layer, to open up and let the pollution out. Thank God for smart people. Clearly I am not one of them. I actually believed Al Gore and his movie. Clearly not true. Now please excuse me while I go take off my jacket and sit here in my short sleeves.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

My theory on Global Warming is that we are polluting the earth and that's definitely not a good thing... to me, I'm not that concerned about Global Warming because if God wants to end the earth using Global Warming, he will no matter what we do. If he doesn't, he'll stop it somehow. That doesnt mean we free reign to destory it, it just means that I think as a Christian I am called to be more concerned about other things.

I just think there are way more important issues than enviornmentalism. Now while I havent researched enviornmentalism in the Bible, but God doesnt seem to put his focus on it. And I can only really think of one time God says anything about us being stewards of the earth, but I can think of numerous instances where He talks about being a servant, helping those in need, the speciality of each human life, and loving those around us. Those issues seem more close to the heart of God.

I heard someone say something interesting about global warming once. God talks about his second coming being like a theif in the night, and then the earth will be destroyed by fire. (In 2 Peter I believe) Don't you think we should be a little more concerned about making people ready for that? We don't know when that will be... today, tomorrow, 38957934 years from now. But God doesn't seem to have any plans to destroy the earth by fire until then.

And even if my life will be effected by Global Warming, the course of human history tells us that people in this world are too concerned about other things happening in the present, that the majority will never worry about something that could happen in the distant future. So it's not really going to matter what Al Gore or anyone does until it's too late (sad, but true). So I'd rather prepare and warn people for the inevitable (that when the end comes, they better be ready to meet Christ) than try to prepare and warn people over something that may or may not even happen.

I just feel Christians sometimes get too wrapped up in political agendas that they forget what God really calls them to do, be fishers of men and love people. The earth NEVER takes preference over human life in the Bible. Even if you take the stance "well it could affect human life in the future," you don't evne know if it definitely will or if God won't come before we make it to that point.

I'm not saying we should ignore the fact that God calls us to be stewards. I do think we need to be concerned about the enviornment. I think it just really bothers me when people (Christians especially) put the earth and animals above humans and human suffering on their list of concerns.

crystalsea24 said...

in my defense, I don't think I care about the earth (or animals) MORE THAN people, or more than God. I just consider it part of a whole package--I think we disrespect God when we disrespect His creation, and we'll answer for that to Him someday, same as for any other sin. The Bible may not directly address being a caretaker as much about loving others, but the Psalms sure take up a lot of space praising the beauty of creation. So I try to love others, and treat God's creation, animal AND planet AND humans, in the way I think He'd want me to. all His commandments are important, no matter how many times they're in the Bible. I am sure we all do our best, however that is.

Rebekah said...

Didnt mean to imply that you love the earth more than people. I think I can say I know you well enough to know that you dont :)

However, it's unbelievable how many people care more about the life of an animal then helping the person who cant afford to eat down the street. Does that makes sense?

crystalsea24 said...

Yes, I know what you're talking about--the people who kill people over animal rights, or over the environment, or even over abortion. I think it's human nature to become unbalanced, to care about something more than anything else, and unless that thing is God, and loving Him, it just gets ugly from there. I really try to find balance in everything, and maybe that's my extremity. :) I am an independent moderate voter, a mostly non-denominational/ecumenical moderate Christian, etc. I can't even make up my mind what ice cream flavor to get on my cone! :)
I'm glad you don't think I'm a crazy, though. I'm just trying to serve God the way I think he wants me to. I think we all have general areas we are all supposed to serve in, and then certain areas maybe he wants us to specialize in. Sometimes I feel like creation care is my area to specialize in.
differences in the body are what can make the church great. as long as it's always all in love... :)