Sunday, December 23, 2007

like a (French) pig in shit

I am loving this French program and tearing through it. My accent seems to as good as I always secretly thought it was in high school--I have done really well in the pronunciation section. Might as well brush up my French, if I'm going to be going to Canada possibly next year, right? even if it's not to Quebec, can't hurt.

So I'm glad that at least the investment (ie--credit card debt) was at least somewhat justified. PLUS, the kit came with a headphone/ microphone headset, so I can now do stuff on the computer while Brian watches TV (like the Eagles/Saints game right now)--I won't have to be annoyed by the TV, and he won't be interrupted by my music, games, French, etc. (Except of course by me talking in French to the computer. ) I can also use the headset if my brother Chad decides to go off to some exotic locale again and only uses Skype to communicate the family. Now I can talk to him too!
the only downside right now is that I'm in a book pause right now, where I've just finished a good book (Murder is Announced, by Agatha Christie [quite good, btw]) and want to read another, but can't seem to settle on one. Partly I hesistate because I know I should be getting plenty of books, new, exciting, desired books, for Christmas in a few days, and don't want to be mid book then. I guess I should put my nose to the grindstone and finish one of the many non-fiction books I've started in the past year and not finished--a few more pages in Collapse, by Jared Diamond, Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin, a book on publishing non-fiction (thanks, Kate--I'll finish it and get it back to you eventually, I promise!), and Bill Bryson's Made in America. hmmm...so many options, so little time.
Until then I am reading about different ethnic/ cultural groups around the world, in the National Geographic book I finally received in the mail on Saturday: "the book of the people's of the world". Yes, I really read this stuff for fun --and I'm learning all kinds of stuff. Did you know that there is a distinct culture mostly of former slaves, mostly descended from Sierra Leone, living on the coastal/island areas of South Carolina, that have their own language? well, there is. they are called Gullah. and now you've learned something new for the day. thank me later.

No comments: